Date: 7/27/19 7:46 pm
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Some birds N County and Tecolote Creek
Yesterday in Los Alamos, the Barn Swallows are still breeding. Possibly as
many as 5 pairs bred not far from Centennial Park this summer. The Santa
Maria Wastewater Treatment Plant had only a few Greater Yellowlegs and no
other shorebirds. The Santa Maria River Estuary had 5 Amer. White
Pelicans, 2 Red-necked Phalarope, and more than 30 Least Terns flying
around the estuary and on the beach. I did not see the Reddish Egret or
the turnstones seen by Jamie C. earlier in the day.

This morning I walked 1.8 miles in Tecolote Ck bottom. A few birds still
sang, and were presumably still involved in bringing off babies. But the
activity was greatly diminished relative to that of 30 June. I attached a
Common Ground-Dove recording to my checklist, found 4 Wilson's Warbler
locations, only 1 Warbling Vireo, 4 Yellow Warblers, and the remainder were
expected species. I've been surprised to not find Black-chinned
Hummingbird in places I usually see them.
A Red-shouldered Hawk took a crow and twice carried it into the forest with
no great difficulty.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58497421 Tecolote Creek

Here's a quiz bird call taken from Tecolote Ck this morning for those of
you named Libby Patten. Its the 6-note descending call. The clearest
renditions are during the airplane pass over. I do not know what bird made
this call.

Mark Holmgren
Santa Barbara

View/Reply Online (#29151): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29151