Date: 7/27/19 11:37 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Turnstones & Willets & Godwits, Oh My! Saturday 7-27-19
Hello Bird People,

Until today shorebird finding has been a little slow this July with
only one Avocet at Montrose being my only highlight. But today Bob
Erickson & I warmed up with a few common shorebirds at Waukegan Beach
& then we hit the jackpot at Illinois Beach South Unit. Adam Sell was
with for part of the Waukegan visit & he impressed me with his ability
to I.D. shorebirds by their calls something I can't do with very many
species. Then Andy Stewart gave us a call about 2 Willets on the beach
at Illinois Beach South which led to all of us finding something even
better than the Willets. Here's my lists:

Waukegan Beach (6-7:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (2 fly-bys & 20 by Greenwood)
Great Blue Heron & Great Egret (1 each flying by)
LEAST BITTERN (6 sightings of perhaps 3 individuals)
(No sign of the flying American Bittern today.)
Black Crowned Night Heron (1-IM, but Bob saw more)
Canada Goose (~30)
Wood Duck (4) & Mallard (8)
Kestrel (1 fly-by)
Killdeer (1) & Spotted Sandpiper (4 on the pier)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (2 on the pier)
Least Sandpiper (1 by the rocky parking lot pond)
Solitary Sandpiper (4 flying by, Adam knew their calls)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls
Caspian Terns (4)
Bank & Barn Swallows
Marsh Wren (5) & Red Wings

Illinois Beach South Unit (Beach only) (7:45-10 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (a few fly-bys)
Great Blue Heron & Great Egret (1 each flying by)
Kestrel (2)
Sandhill Crane (5)
Killdeer (2 on the beach)
WILLET (2 feeding on the beach, stayed a while)
Ruddy Turnstone (2-AD & 2-IM flying by)
Sanderling (groups of 6 & 10)
MARBLED GODWIT (2 flew in, briefly landed & within 5 min took off
again toward the west)
(As they flew in Andy called out that a big billed shorebird was
coming in which we thought might be a Whimbrel but the bills were
up-curved not down-curved so we changed our I.D. to Godwits which
became obvious when they got closer & then landed.)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1 with one group of Sanderlings)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (flying by)
Caspian Tern (7 hunting)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the "big boy" Marbled Godwits & Runners-Up to the
Willets & Least Bitterns

Al Stokie
On the Lake County lakefront today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>