Date: 7/25/19 6:42 pm
From: Jamie Chavez <almiyi...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] 20 Year Anniversary Today
Happy Anniversary sbcobirders! I had a message pop up today reminding me
that 20 years ago this very day this group was created. I think I owe
thanks to Mike Stiles of slocobirding who at the time had an active
listserve through Cal Poly in SLO, and I remember asking Mike if I could
post messages about Santa Maria area birds to the group and he said
(politely), "I think I would rather keep this group focused on SLO county
birds." BAM! sbcobirding was born. In those early days it was hosted
through eGroups, eventually swallowed up by Yahoo, later ignored by Yahoo
so we moved to Groups.io. In all that time the number of subscribers has
grown. I think there were only a few county groups way back when but
eventually nearly all 58 counties in California had a discussion group or
regional group that birders could report birds to. It was a sign of the
times. The phone-in BirdBox was starting to disappear and email discussion
groups were a means to get information out to a wide audience fairly
quickly. While eBird has taken over the way birders obtain information
today it does not support real discussion. This is why I feel email groups
still serve a purpose. A group like this is only as good as its members and
the topics being discussed so thanks go to all of you for your
participation all these years, sharing your sightings and generating some
really meaningful discussion about birding in this wonderful county.

--
Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

View/Reply Online (#29133): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29133