Date: 7/25/19 2:16 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach Thursday 7-25-19
Hello Bird People,

Been busy with cutting branches off shrubs & trees lately so birding
time has been curtailed. . All I did today was check on Montrose to
look in on the Piping Plovers & see if the Laughing Gull returned. The
Piping Plovers are doing fine but the Laughing Gull was a no show at
least when I was there. Here's my short list:

Montrose Beach (5:45-8:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (a few fly-bys)
Canada Goose (16)
Mallard (17)
Hooded Merganser (1 young one by the pier)
Killdeer (8)
PIPING PLOVER (2 adults & 3 small ones)
Spotted Sandpiper (2-AD & 2 young)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1)
Least Sandpiper (2)
Ring Billed (~80) & Herring (2) Gulls
Caspian Tern (7)
Chimney Swift (8)
Tree (1), Bank (~20), Rough Winged (10) & Barn (12) Swallows
Purple Martin (2)
Red Wings & Grackles
House Finch (1-F)
House Sparrow (12)
While I was checking the outer beach others had 1 or 2 Great Blue
Herons by the Plovers.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Piping Plover family & Runner-Up to the young
Hooded Merganser.

But sighting of the day goes to a license plate. On the way in to
Montrose I saw the plate with the cowboy riding a bucking bronco which
was Wyoming. Haven't had a new plate since March but this Wyoming
plate was #49 leaving me missing Hawaii & Vermont. Hope to get them
soon.

Al Stokie
On the Chicago lakefront today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>