Date: 7/24/19 2:47 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South, State Line Beach & Wadsworth Wetlands Wed 7-24-19
Hello Bird People,

Seems that entirely too often when I go to the Lake County lakefront
others find a rare bird at Montrose today it being a Laughing Gull. I
really have to pick my days & locations a little better than I have
been doing. And then once again I found almost no shorebirds in Lake
County.
One of these days I'll hit it right, I hope! Did Waukegan & Illinois
Beach with Andy Stewart & all other places by myself.

Waukegan Beach (6-7 a.m)

D.C. Cormorant (37 at Greenwood)
LEAST BITTERN (1 continuing)
Canada Goose (2 groups-45 Geese)
Mallard (2)
Killdeer (7 in the gravel parking lot)
Spotted Sandpiper (3)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1 in the gravel parking lot by the water)
Ring Billed (~200) & Herring (8) Gulls
Caspian Tern (8)
Kingfisher (1-M flying with a captured fish)
Flicker (H-1)
Rough Winged (1), Cliff (2), Bank (2) & Barn (8) Swallows
Marsh Wren (6 singing)
Among the expected land birds was 1 unexpected Cedar Waxwing on a wire
along the road.

Before I arrived a Big Day group of Beau S, Adam S & Gustavo U had
seen an American Bittern, a Semipalmated Plover & a Common Tern none
of which was seen by me.

Illinois Beach South (7:15-9 a.m.)

I only covered the beach to the mouth of the Dead River & back but
Andy took the land trails on his return trip. All that beach walking
did not get me much as no shorebirds were found giving me the dreaded
Shorebird Shutout. It didn't help that 2 Kestrels & 1 Peregrine were
flying near the beach.

D.C. Cormorant (~50 in the lake)
Great Egret (1 mouth of the river)
Great Blue Heron (1 fly-by)
Canada Goose (24 in the lake)
Kestrel (2) & PEREGRINE (1 fly-by)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (a few fly-bys each with a big group of
Gulls toward Greenwood)
Caspian Tern (6 hunting)
Barn Swallows
Some interesting land birds along the trails were Eastern Phoebe &
Eastern Bluebird.

An interesting sight was a small boat which had been washed up on the
beach toward Greenwood. I have seen that a few times before. They
usually use a cable attached to another boat to pull the stranded
boat.

State Line Beach

Only birds of interest here were 2 Spotted Sandpipers & 2 EUROPEAN GOLDFINCHES.

Wadsworth Wetlands (The old name)

Saw 1 Great Egret & a fly-by Green Heron, 1 female wood duck with
young & I heard
one singing Marsh Wren. There are 2 Killdeer here with a nest in the
parking lot wood chips.

Not much today but Bird-Of-The-Day will be the continuing Least Bittern &
Runner-Up to the European Goldfinches, very colorful!

Al Stokie
Doing the Lake County lakefront & not seeing any Laughing Gulls

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: