Date: 7/24/19 1:33 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
Wild Iris Ridge is a good part of the Ridge Trail system that follows the south hills of Eugene. The park is located in the western part of the ridge. We had a pleasant morning in great weather and witnessed a fair amount of activity and diversity of birds. Kit guided us to a site where he discovered a Willow Flycatcher nest with 3 newly fledged young a few days ago, and we found the young birds looking and acting mature, this morning. A few active Purple Martins were flying about and choosing to perch on a particular snag suggestive of a nesting site, but we did not see clear evidence of that. Sylvia, Dennis, and Larry parted from the rest earlier, who then may report additional species.
37 species

Band-tailed Pigeon a couple
Mourning Dove 3
Vaux’s Swift 3
Anna’s Hummingbird 6
Turkey Vulture 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Acorn Woodpecker 1 heard
Red-breasted Sapsucker 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Olive-sided Flycatcher 1
Western Wood-Pewee many
Willow Flycatcher at least 3
Hutton’s Vireo 4 and probably more
Steller’s Jay 4
California Scrub-Jay 1
American Crow 1
Purple Martin 3 and probably more
Black-capped Chickadee many
Bushtit 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
White-breasted Nuthatch very active and some immatures, suggesting a family group
House Wren 3
Bewick’s Wren 3
Swainson’s Thrush 1 heard
American Robin 5
Cedar Waxwing heard
Purple Finch 4
Lesser Goldfinch 2
American Goldfinch 3
Spotted Towhee all over
Song Sparrow 2
White-crowned Sparrow 6
Dark-eyed Junco 1
Common Yellowthroat 2
Black-throated Gray Warbler 1
Western Tanager 1
Black-headed Grosbeak 2

Dennis Arendt, Scott McNeeley, Kit Larsen, Tom Cable, Ellen Cantor, Jim Mitchell, Sylvia Maulding, Rosie Hammond, and Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!