Date: 7/24/19 5:40 am
From: Mary Reese <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender uuspirit for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Hermit warblers at top of Larch Mt.
Beautiful treat at the top of Larch Mountain / Sherrard Point (45.532692,-122.087930) on Tues. 7/23 @ 3:00pm.  Small flock of about half a dozen HERMIT WARBLERS, including a fluttering juvenile.  They were virtually the only birds up there - the top of the mountain was in the fast-moving clouds all day, with frequent glimpses of Mt. Hood, but nothing else.
We spent most of the day down the hill on E. Larch Mt. Rd. at approximately milepost 4.5 in the Weyerhauser harvest property.  There is a large gravel pulloff, and the sign on the locked gate (45.511325,-122.185780) clearly states that recreational entry is ok.  In fact, we encountered some employees driving out who gave us some birding tips for the area.
We walked on Donahue Rd. through the woods and past the creek where we heard a PILEATED WOODPECKER drumming and lots of SWAINSONS THRUSHES singing.  Then we turned right (45.508915,-122.182788) out into the partially recovered clearcut.  We followed this down the hill until it ended at private property (45.504888,-122.183028).
Birds seen along the way included:
RUFFED GROUSEBAND-TAILED PIGEONMOURNING DOVECOMMON NIGHTHAWKCALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD NORTHERN FLICKER OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER FLYCATCHER SP.STELLERS JAYCALIFORNIA SCRUB-JAYCOMMON RAVENCLIFF SWALLOW WESTERN BLUEBIRDAMERICAN ROBIN CEDAR WAXWINGDARK-EYED JUNCOWHITE-CROWNED SPARROWAMERICAN GOLDFINCH BALD EAGLERED-TAILED HAWK---------
Mary Reese / Jim AllenPortland / <Greshamuuspirit...>

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Join us on Facebook!