Date: 7/23/19 9:22 am
From: Thomas Love <tlove...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Y-b cuckoo at Grand Island - NO
I finally tried for the Grand Island YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO last Friday morning. Walked the trail to the river, playing tape frequently, no Cuckoo. Generally quite quiet, all the regulars, RED-EYED VIREO only nearer the river. I ran out of time and did not try the greenway area where the bird had been reported latter June. I was out of the country in latter June and probably waited too long to get down there on return.

I raise this to ask if anyone else besides Paul tried for this bird since its original discovery? The western population is threatened or even endangered and under review: https://www.fws.gov/oregonfwo/articles.cfm?id=149489511. Dave Marshall's account in BOGR sums up the situation clearly.

Grand Island State Park, on the south/upstream end of the island, in southeasternmost Yamhill County, is the second largest (but less disturbed) contiguous mature bottomland riparian forest in the valley. It is likely the best habitat in the valley for Cuckoos. I have tried periodically with tapes there over the last two decades.

Does anyone have a sense of how many Willamette Valley sightings there have been over the last decade? I recall several sightings at mouth of Sandy River in recent years, also one years ago at the Willow Bar on Sauvie Is.

Tom