Date: 7/22/19 11:32 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: IMG_1225.jpeg

> On Jul 22, 2019, at 7:31 PM, Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...> wrote:
>
> Why isn’t this a juvenile, male Brewer’s Blackbird? The bill doesn’t look long enough from this one photo to be a GTGR. Same with the overall proportions.
>
> As with Nel’s bird, judging these icterids based on only one photo and without the aid of seeing the bird in person certainly has its pitfalls.
>
> Good Birding,
> -Nick Mrvelj (Portland)
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 6:14 PM Bill Tice <ticebill7...> <mailto:<ticebill7...>> wrote:
>
> Don Berg took this pic at Baskett Slough NWR Saturday. Looks like a female or young GT Grackle.
>

> Sent from my iPhone

I assume that the person taking the photo realized that it was much bigger than a Brewer’s Blackbird…. Did the photographer identify it as a Great-tailed Grackle?

There never is the slightest problem with identifying a Great-tailed Grackle from a Brewer’s in my experience. I see them both in my Arizona neighborhood frequently in the winter., and even walking around the parking lot at the mall there.

Western Great-tailed Grackles aren’t though as big and long tailed as birds to the east, such as in Texas. See the female from San Diego in this link: http://sandiegobirdspot.com/great-tailed-grackle/ <http://sandiegobirdspot.com/great-tailed-grackle/>

I will have to spend more time looking at the photos of the subject bird, when I get a chance.

I agree with you Nick, what would be an easy identification in the field regarding this subject can be problematic from one photograph.

Jeff Gilligan

Join us on Facebook!