Date: 7/22/19 5:57 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Re: RBA - Great-tailed Grackle - Victor Road, Wasco County
Philip et al.,

I agree with the field Mark's and details that both you and Shawneen have
put forward. The trouble I am having probably stems from their being only a
single photo. The iris is pale, but on the dark side, I initially thought,
for an adult. I thought I could detect a fleshy grape, but looking more I
am uncertain. My field guides do not depict female grackle plumage well and
I didn't have the opportunity to study the female plumaged grackles when I
was on the East Coast. The feathers on the photo, from what I can make out,
do not strike me as necessarily those of a juvenile. Thanks for the
explanations to your conclusions.

Always learning and willing to learn,

David

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019, 15:54 Philip Kline <pgeorgekline...> wrote:

> It is a bit of a puzzling bird, but I don't think we can assume it's a
> hatch-year bird. Why not simply an adult female Common Grackle? Females
> are quite variable and this bird seems to be within their range of
> appearance, if a bit on the dull side. The bill seems perfect for Common
> Grackle, but too short for Great-tailed.
>
> Philip Kline
>

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019, 3:18 PM David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
> wrote:
>
>> Additionally, there is a pale wide outline to the face and articular.
>> Doesn't that fit Great-tailed Grackle better?

Join us on Facebook!