Date: 7/22/19 6:06 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: ID Help?
Hi -

I agree with Roy that the shorebird is a Wilson's Phalarope - nice photos.

The buteo is a Swainson's Hawk,  Ferruginous Hawks used to be called "Ferruginous Rough-legged Hawks" because they share with Northern Rough-legged Hawks the trait of"rough" legs, i.e., they both have the leg feathering extend down to the base of the toes.  Your second and third photos clearly show scaly tarsi, so it cannot be Ferruginous.  That basically leaves Swainson's vs Red-tail.  Your bird has a smaller bill than a Red-tail, a dark chest, and a darker and more uniform back.  The head is paler than usual for either species, but does show the white around the beak and on the chin of Swainson's.

Wayne
On 7/22/2019 5:13:43 AM, Rebecca Hartman <rhartman...> wrote:
Hi folks,
I had a leisurely ramble around the Grande Ronde Valley today.  Briefly singing GRASSHOPPER SPARROW along with a VESPER'S was a nice start to the morning. On my to Union, I enjoyed watching what I think was a FERRUGINOUS HAWK eating a tasty passerine breakfast.  I've only seen Ferrugs from below, but I think the feathery legs and large feet are diagnostic?  Still, I'm not certain because of the dark breast.  I have several pics so I've linked to a Google Drive folder to work around the listserve size limit.

My second unidentified bird was at Ladd Marsh.  This was with a loose flock of WILSON'S SNIPES that flushed repeatedly.  First time I've ever seen non-solitary Snipes. I've included two pics (one very poor quality) of a bird I just can't figure out.
Thank-you for any insights.
I miss the Wet Side, but today I finally saw and heard my first Bobolink, came across a Leucistic Eurasian Collared Dove, and stumbled upon seven SANDHILL CRANES at the marsh, so I suppose we take the pleasures where we find them.
Good birding to all,
Rebecca
Here's [https://drive.google.com/open?id=1btn-x1ZZonG8ffWENa-6dAbHYwKS7w3D]the link to photos. Thanks!

--

Dr. Rebecca Hartman
Associate Professor of History

The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.”
― Eden Phillpotts

Join us on Facebook!