Date: 7/22/19 2:13 am
From: Rebecca Hartman <rhartman...>
Subject: [obol] ID Help?
Hi folks,
I had a leisurely ramble around the Grande Ronde Valley today. Briefly
singing GRASSHOPPER SPARROW along with a VESPER'S was a nice start to the
morning. On my to Union, I enjoyed watching what I think was a FERRUGINOUS
HAWK eating a tasty passerine breakfast. I've only seen Ferrugs from
below, but I think the feathery legs and large feet are diagnostic? Still,
I'm not certain because of the dark breast. I have several pics so I've
linked to a Google Drive folder to work around the listserve size limit.

My second unidentified bird was at Ladd Marsh. This was with a loose flock
of WILSON'S SNIPES that flushed repeatedly. First time I've ever seen
non-solitary Snipes. I've included two pics (one very poor quality) of a
bird I just can't figure out.
Thank-you for any insights.
I miss the Wet Side, but today I finally saw and heard my first Bobolink,
came across a Leucistic Eurasian Collared Dove, and stumbled upon seven
SANDHILL CRANES at the marsh, so I suppose we take the pleasures where we
find them.
Good birding to all,
Rebecca
Here's <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1btn-x1ZZonG8ffWENa-6dAbHYwKS7w3D>the
link to photos. Thanks!

--
Dr. Rebecca Hartman
Associate Professor of History

*The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to
grow sharper.”*― Eden Phillpotts

Join us on Facebook!