Date: 7/20/19 2:57 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South. State Line Beach & Spring Bluff F.P. Saturday 7-20-19
Hello Bird People,

Covered the Lake County lakefront & the only shorebirds of note were
fly-bys. The only shorebirds on land were the usual Killdeer & Spotted
Sandpipers. With me at Waukegan were Bob Erickson & Ted Wolff. Ted was
looking for the fly-by American Bittern but as of when Bob & I left he
had not seen it. We had wonderful looks at at least 3 LEAST BITTERNS
which were flying from cattails to cattails near the inlet. Also
hunting the cattails were 2 big PEREGRINES which gave great looks.
Ted was only with at Waukegan but Bob was with at all locations. Here
are my day lists:

Waukegan Beach (5:45-7 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (2 fly-bys)
LEAST BITTERN (5 sightings but probably only 3 birds)
Mallard (1)
PEREGRINE FALCON (2 hunting together)
Spotted Sandpiper (5 but Bob saw more)
SHORT BILLED DOWITCHER (4 close fly-bys)
Ring Billed (~150) & Herring (~10) Gulls
Caspian Tern (6)
Rough Winged (1), Bank (4), Cliff (1) & Barn (6) Swallows
Marsh Wren (6)
Red Wings (6)

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:45-9 a.m.)

Beach To The Dead River Mouth

D,C. Cormorant (~30 fly-bys)
Canada Goose (17)
Kestrel (1)
SANDHILL CRANE (2 walking on the beach)
Killdeer (5) & Spotted Sandpiper (1)
Sanderling (1) & Semipalmated Sandpiper (2) (flying by together)
Ring Billed (~100) & Herring (2) Gulls
Caspian Tern (4 fly-bys)
Crow (big flock of 40 all flew away together)
Land bird highlights included a "heard only" Wood Thrush & one
Brewer's Blackbird.

State Line Beach (9:15 a.m.)

Lots of people here but the only birds were 1 Spotted Sandpiper & 24
young R.B. Gulls

Spring Bluff F.P. (9:30-9:45 a.m.)

Great Egret (1)
Killdeer (2) & Spotted Sandpiper (1) ( at the far north end where
there is a little mud)
Caspian Tern (2 hunting)
Barn Swallow (3)

Can't get much better looks than we had of the Least Bitterns so they
will be Bird-Of-The Day.
Runners-Up to the 2 hunting Peregrines & the 4 fly-by Short Billed Dowitchers.

Al Stokie
Lake County Lakefront

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: