Date: 7/20/19 11:18 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] July 20 eBird Oregon RBA
*** Species Summary:

Common Goldeneye (1 Tillamook)
Spruce Grouse (Franklin's) (2 Wallowa)
White-throated Swift (1 Hood River)
Black-chinned Hummingbird (1 Crook)
Pacific Golden-Plover (1 Curry)
Red-necked Phalarope (1 Deschutes)
Northern Flicker (intergrade) (1 Washington)
Pine Grosbeak (2 Wallowa)
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Gray-crowned) (1 Klamath)
Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (1 Malheur, 2 Wallowa)
Townsend's Warbler (1 Washington)

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2019 14:00 by Ruth Morton
- Bay City Oyster Company, Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5239689,-123.8946891&ll=45.5239689,-123.8946891
- Comments: "Immature bird with bright eye and small white patch behind
eye. "

Spruce Grouse (Franklin's) (Falcipennis canadensis franklinii) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 08:44 by Dave Trochlell
- McCully Creek & Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2756112,-117.1372712&ll=45.2756112,-117.1372712
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "First seen around 9:30 at 45.2685814, -117.1444038. He flushed
off the side of the trail into a Subalpine Fir providing great a great
photo opportunity. After 15 minutes it flew off and was not seen again. We
ran into Dylan Radin from Arizona who had been in the area for two days. He
had had a female yesterday, and another early this morning. On our return
trip we found a feather from a male Spruce Grouse in the trail that had not
been there on our hike up. Great to find this species!"

Spruce Grouse (Franklin's) (Falcipennis canadensis franklinii) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 08:44 by Nolan Clements
- McCully Creek & Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2756112,-117.1372712&ll=45.2756112,-117.1372712
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "First seen around 9:30 at 45.2685814, -117.1444038. He flushed
off the side of the trail into a Subalpine Fir providing great a great
photo opportunity. After 15 minutes it flew off and was not seen again. We
ran into Dylan Radin from Arizona who had been in the area for two days. He
had had a female yesterday, and another early this morning. On our return
trip we found a feather from a male Spruce Grouse in the trail that had not
been there on our hike up. Great to find this species!"

White-throated Swift (Aeronautes saxatalis) (2)
- Reported Jul 18, 2019 18:00 by Rebecca Hartman
- I-84 just east of rte. 35, Hood River, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.7096768,-121.4930282&ll=45.7096768,-121.4930282
- Comments: "One bird seen coming into Hood River. Second bird seen on
I-84 just east of Hood River, route 35. Third bird seen further east along
I-84. Birds were struggling against very strong (30 mph est.) headwinds
and gusts, travelling northwestward across freeway. First bird was nearly
at a standstill, and very low, close to eye level. Brilliant white breast
and throat, large round black eye spot, white side rump patch."

Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) (2)
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 07:00 by Sharon Peters
- 13401 NE Lawson Rd, Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.320089,-120.676405&ll=44.320089,-120.676405
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "We have had Black-chinned hummingbirds for over two months.
See them every day."

Pacific Golden-Plover (Pluvialis fulva) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 16:46 by Joshua Little
- Floras Lake, Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.9038274,-124.5049667&ll=42.9038274,-124.5049667
- Comments: "Adult golden plovers transitioning out of alternate plumage
showing extensive white down flanks, photos"

Red-necked Phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus) (3)
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 07:39 by Evan Thomas
- Hatfield Lake, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.1232081,-121.198554&ll=44.1232081,-121.198554
- Comments: "Continuing birds. No decent photos."

Northern Flicker (intergrade) (Colaptes auratus luteus x cafer) (1)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 11:03 by Shawneen Finnegan
- Greenway Park, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.4567592,-122.7949619&ll=45.4567592,-122.7949619
- Comments: "Male with red on nape."

Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator) (7)
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 08:44 by Nolan Clements
- McCully Creek & Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2756112,-117.1372712&ll=45.2756112,-117.1372712
- Media: 4 Photos, 1 Audio
- Comments: "We heard Pine Grosbeak three times, all a mile or more apart.
On our return trip we heard what we thought was our third bird of the day
extremely close to the trail. So we pished a little and a female Pine
Grosbeak stuck her head around a large Subalpine Fir. She then, to our
amazement and joy, proceeded to a nest in a nearby Subalpine Fir with 3
small juveniles in it. She fed them and flew off. The nest tree was about
11ft tall, with the nest at 8 ft. The nest appeared to be composed of
needles and branches. In hopes of more thoroughly documenting this nest we
waited 30-45 minutes for the female to come back with food. To our surprise
the male was also in the area, and after she returned they exchanged a
series of vocalizations and potential pair-bonding interactions, which I
recorded. Very cool birds to see breeding!"

[...]

Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Gray-crowned) (Leucosticte tephrocotis
[tephrocotis Group]) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 05:15 by Alex Lamoreaux
- Crater Lake NP--CR34 survey site, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.893814,-122.074905&ll=42.893814,-122.074905
- Comments: "Flyover, heading W with House Finch-like calls. High elevation
meadows with snow patches. "

Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (Passerella iliaca [schistacea Group]) (2)
- Reported Jul 18, 2019 08:09 by Philip Kline
- Ironside Mountain, Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.2411043,-118.1397559&ll=44.2411043,-118.1397559
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Expected subspecies in this region."

Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (Passerella iliaca [schistacea Group]) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 08:44 by Dave Trochlell
- McCully Creek & Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2756112,-117.1372712&ll=45.2756112,-117.1372712
- Comments: "Expected subspecies"

Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (Passerella iliaca [schistacea Group]) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 08:44 by Nolan Clements
- McCully Creek & Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2756112,-117.1372712&ll=45.2756112,-117.1372712
- Comments: "Expected subspecies"

Townsend's Warbler (Setophaga townsendi) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2019 07:48 by Terri Vincent
- Commonwealth Lake Park, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5119108,-122.8098106&ll=45.5119108,-122.8098106
- Comments: "At the very top canopy of the Pines. We did get a picture I’ll
post later it’s not the best but you can certainly tell it’s a Townsend "

Join us on Facebook!