Date: 7/19/19 10:52 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Three's A Crowd At Montrose Beach-Piping Plovers Friday 7-19-19
Hello Bird People,

Like many folks I went to Montrose to see the baby Piping Plovers
today. At 1st only 1 adult, then both adults & then finally 1, 2 & 3
bundles of fluff, the 3 baby Plovers. The 3 babies stayed pretty much
in the area of the nest venturing out on the sandy beach near the nest
box but running back into the grasses. About 1 hour later in flew a
3rd adult Piping Plover which immediately was attacked & chased away
by Rose & Monty. It stayed away from our pair of adults after that but
did not leave entirely. As long as it was feeding away from the family
group all was o.k.

Best bird present today was 1 AVOCET which fed mainly in the Lake
Montrose Fluddle but earlier fed along the edge of the protected beach
area. Other shorebirds were Semipalmated Plover (1),
Killdeer (7), Spotted Sandpiper (4), Least Sandpiper (2) &
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1). Mike C also saw 1 Short Billed Dowitcher
which was the bird I really wanted to see today but it flew off before
Mike could find me to say it was there. I hope to eventually see a
Dowitcher locally.

Also present were about 75 Ring Billed, 2 Herring Gulls & 5 Caspian
Terns. A few Cormorants & 2 Great Blue Herons flew by & Fran M saw a
Night Heron also fly by. The Swallows I noticed were Bank, Rough
Winged & Barn & 1 Purple Martin.

WARNING!

All entrances to the Dune Area are now roped off & there's no
admittance so if you wanted to view all the nice Summer wildflowers in
the Dunes you are out of luck. This to provide the baby Piping Plovers
with more area to not be bothered. I imagine as soon as the little
Plovers can fly the Dune area will be opened again but I don't really
know what the plan is.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the cooperative Avocet & Runners-Up to all the
Piping Plovers.

Al Stokie
On the Chicago lakefront today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>