Date: 7/18/19 9:03 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Santa Barbara Sandspit and Mission Creek outfall 7-18
I walked form Shoreline Park down to (and out on) the Harbor Sandspit this morning at low tide.  I didn't run into any shorebirds on Ledbetter beach until more than halfway to the harbor, when I had 4 Long-billed Curlew and 1 Whimbrel.  Then in front of the Yacht Club I had three more Curlew, 4 Whimbrels, and a single Willet.
ON the Sandspit, I picked up a couple of Curlew and 2 more Willet.  A flock of 15 Curlew also flew by headed for the beach.  No Turnstones or other rocky shore birds found on the breakwater.  Also on the spandspit was a flock of 40 Brown Pelicans, 50 Heerman's Gulls (mostly adults, 3 dark first-year birds), 20 Western Gulls, and a couple of scruffy California Gulls.
I then drove to the Mission Creek outfall.  All the birds had moved to the eastern end of the outfall area because of a city worker who was doing something to the nearby vegetation.  Also present was a volunteer picking up trash, and he had a very well-behaved dog walking with him.  I got down to where the birds were and found 9 Long-billed Curlew, 6 Whimbrels, and 4 Willets there.  With the gulls were 19 Black Skimmers.  The Gull flock had at least 100 Heerman's Gulls, as well as Western Gulls and 1 gull that looked like a worn Ring-billed.  Before I could really work through the flock, the birds spotted the dog and took off and scattered, so that was that.   The dog didn't chase them, but his very presence triggered some warning signal in the flock.
Glad to get reports of some goood birds on Campus Point--there were none there yesterday morning.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#29091): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29091
-=-=-
-=-=-