Date: 7/17/19 9:40 am
From: Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] UCSB BEACHES 7-17
I walked the beaches around the UCSB Campus this morning, starting at 6 a.m. (low tide).  In terms of shorebirds, it was few and far between: 1 Whimbrel on the east-facing beach, another at the Lagoon outfall on the south-facing beach, 2 Semi-palmated Plovers on the south-facing beach; 1 Greater Yellowlegs (in nice breeding plumage) in the UCSB Lagoon; 1 Black Stilt in the Lagoon.  There was a modest gull flock on the east-facing beach near Campus point.  In it were Westerns, several Heerman's (mostly adults but there were three birds in dark first-year plumage too), and 2 nice clean adult California gulls.  I alos found near the steps down to the beach a gull that looked a lot like the one I saw at GSD yesterday.  I hoped to get a photo of it but the bird would not let me get too close to it so I didn't try.  I scoped it to try to get the eye color, but I was not toting my heavy (and better) Leica today so my old scope views were not satisfactory.  They eye color did appear to be dark, but I needed to be closer.
A Tree Swallow was working the beaches, something I've seen before here but it always surprises me.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#29082): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29082
-=-=-
-=-=-