Date: 7/12/19 9:24 am
From: Tammy Eustis via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] No butterflies??
Low in Chester, too. We would usually have flutters of fritillaries all
over our milkweed, but I don't think I've seen one this year. One each
of black and yellow swallowtails so far, and a couple of painted ladies.
No cabbage moths, which makes me wish we had planted brussel sprouts
this year. The only success we had was with monarchs - a couple came
through laying eggs early in the season, and we had a day of young
hatching, with four excited "babies" exploring the yard all afternoon.

I've also planted with natives and pollinators in mind, so it's
distressing.
On the plus side, we have bats, a wide variety of dragonflies, and more
fireflies than we've had in decades. Things may be on a cycle.

Tammy Eustis
Assistant Director, Killingworth Library Association
860-663-2000
<teustis...>