Date: 7/11/19 6:24 pm
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Rincon Creek this morning
My friend from Oregon, Dave Haupt, has been going afield with me for the
last few days. We had a nice day walking the bottom of Rincon Creek this
morning where we birded 0.1 mile downstream of the Bates bridge (in blue on
the attached aerial photo) and 0.57 miles upstream of the Bates bridge (in
red). Two checklists resulted. We did not distinguish birds seen in SB vs
Ventura county.

We found a single silent *Swainson's Thrush* 45 meters downstream of the
Bates Rd bridge and a *Yellow-breasted Chat* about 1/3 mile upstream of the
bridge. No Wilson's Warblers were detected. These three species are old
denizens (like in the 1980s to the early 2000s) of this section of Rincon
Creek.

Other highlights include: *Western Wood-Pewees* (7 total in 2 downstream
territories, and 5 individuals in 4 territories upstream). *Chestnut-backed
Chickadees* were well-entrenched both downstream and upstream of the Bates
bridge. As many as 12 were seen in 5 distinct areas.

In relatively short supply were Yellow Warbler (5 total), Warbling Vireo (2
or 4 total upstream only), and Bullock's Oriole (1 family).

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58096559. downstream of Bates bridge

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58107230. upstream of Bates bridge

Mark Holmgren
San Marcos Pass