Date: 7/11/19 6:21 pm
From: Carl Haynie <hayncarl...>
Subject: A Trumpeter Swan record from 1994
Greetings, all.

Does anyone have information on or access to old Trumpeter Swan records in
OK? I have been entering my records into eBird for the last 6 months or so.
One of my checklists involves 3 Trumpeter Swans that visited a private lake
west of Bartlesville in early March of 1994 (my party photographed them on
March 4th). As I recall, they were on the RBA at the time and many
observers got to see them thanks to an accommodating landowner.

It's been about 6 months and the Trumpeter Swans on my checklist have not
yet been reviewed(?)/accepted by whomever the eBird reviewer is for this
area...

I realize these birds were undoubtedly from the restoration effort that was
underway then. Texas had their first record of Trumpeter Swans in the
winter of 1989/90 (Collin Co - Dallas/Fort Worth area) which was rather
quickly accepted by the TBRC at the time (the birds were tagged and it
could be determined they originated from the restoration program). I am
curious if the Oklahoma committee knows about the Bartlesville record and,
if so, what the ruling on these birds were...

I'm not sure if links get scrubbed here but the eBird checklist in question
with photos is here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49891839. If nothing
else, I'd love to learn of the exact location. I can only approximate where
we were...

Field Notes mentions Trumpeters from Creek County in the months prior and I
see that eBird shows a record near Oklahoma City one year later than our
sighting.

Thanks in advance.

Carl Haynie
Sammamish, WA