Date: 7/11/19 5:31 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] 30 Yellow-billed Magpies on Monument Peak
David and all,

Magpies do flock on occasion, more often in winter.  The Santa Clara
County Notebooks have about 11 records of 50 or more birds found in a
day.  John Mariani has had the two highest counts, both in 2002. He
recorded 123 at Calero Reservoir on a Big Sit he did on 10/13/02 and
later in the year noted 114 coming to a roost there on 11/23/02.  Ryan
Phillips counted between 88 and 108 on Laguna Avenue in Coyote Valley
about 12/13/09 (just over the ridge from Calero Reservoir).

The Mount Hamilton CBC has reported sizeable concentrations in some
years.  Mike Rogers and Mike Mammoser counted 80 in Isabel Valley on
12/28/08.  Mike Rogers keeps meticulous notes and may have higher counts
in the many years he has done that sector (or perhaps from the records
that the late Don Schmoldt bequeathed to him).  I counted in San Antonio
Valley on the Mount Hamilton CBC count from 1980 to 2015 and my highest
tally was of 62 birds on 12/22/99. Based on my own experience there, it
seemed to me that the birds were patchy in their distribution and moved
around a lot.  If you missed one or two flocks, your numbers were down
for the day.

Jean Linsdale wrote a monograph (Linsdale, J. M.1937./The Natural
History of Magpies/.Pacific Coast Avifauna, No. 25, Cooper Ornith. Club)
and you can read this on SORA or download it.  He did much of his field
work in Santa Clara County.  W. E. Unglish of Gilroy told him in the
early 1930's that he had seen a flock of about 200 birds in the southern
Santa Clara Valley, certainly an exceptional count.  Numbers in those
years suffered from ground squirrel poisoning campaigns according to
Linsdale.  I hope there is less of that nowadays, and certainly not on
open space lands.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park