Date: 7/11/19 3:54 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] GSD and other birding spots
Joan Lentz and I went to The Goleta Sanitary district this morning, where we found several species on the exposed mud in the North pond.  As in my previous visit, there were lots of Western Sandpipers there along with a few Least.  With them today was a nice Wilson's Phalarope and three Dowitchers.  Kildeer were also present there and we had two chicks.
We puzzled over the silent Dows for some time.  As they moved around, we got fair looks at most of the plumage, but of course would like to have had them closer.  However, all three birds were in breeding plumage.  One showed much more red on the underside, going almost all the way to tail end of the body.  On the other two birds, the red stopped much sooner.  This could indicate one was a long-billed Dow and the other two were short-billed; however, the flanks on all the birds appeared to be barred as well as spotted.  So . . .
It appeared to me that the water level was slightly higher than my previous visit, so I urge birders to get out there as much as possible in the next few days while the exposed muck lasts.
At area K, we had no shorebirds and no Blue-winged Teal but enjoyed seeing chicks of other species, especially Pied-billed Grebes.
At Devereux, it was pretty quiet, but we found three western Sandpipers on the far shore opposite the first pullout, along with three Kildeer, and there were several individuals of the Heron family in various places.  The Neotropic Cormorant also continues in its favorite tree.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#29054): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29054
-=-=-
-=-=-