Date: 7/11/19 1:13 pm
From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: mowing & mowers
I have to agree with Jeff about the consequence of removing the cows when it comes to shorebirds.

The same thing happened in Cape May, NJ. South Cape May Meadows hosted two cows who kept the vegetation down, kept the edges nice and muddy, and made for perfect shorebird habitat back in the 1980s. I remember what it was like when I visited in the late 1980s. By the time I moved there in 1994 the people who owned the cows had removed them and the habitat quickly grew in with phragmites. Since I left in 2002 major restoration changed the landscape but it must have cost a ton of $$.

Shawneen Finnegan
Beaverton, OR

> On Jul 11, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> wrote:

> The removal of those cows ruined a very special shorebird area.
>

>> On Jul 10, 2019, at 2:11 AM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>>
>> This story was told to me years ago by an ODFW employee on Sauvie Is.
>>
>> Portland Audubon campaigned for years to get ODFW to stop leasing land there to cattle grazers. Eventually Audubon succeeded, cows were removed, and the vegetation 'recovered' to say the least, at which point Audubon asked ODFW to mow trails for access by people. The response was that ODFW thought it was better to leave things 'natural'.
>>
>> Just sayin'
>> Bob OBrien Carver

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>