Date: 7/11/19 11:54 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Tyler Road In Kendall Co & Migell Road In Kane Co Thursday 7-11-19
Hello Bird People,

Well yesterday was a car problem day & today was a birding disaster as
far as I am concerned.
Was going to look for the Black Necked Stilt on Wed but the baby Prius
refused to start, just made a faint whining sound. Had to get a tow
truck to get it to the dealership but as I had no appointment it was a
while until they could check the car. It needed a new battery (the
small one not the main one thank goodness) but I didn't get out of
there until about 1 p.m. After that I was in no mood to go birding at
93 degrees although I should have.

Today the car started & so off I went to the Tyler Rd Fluddle where
the Stilt had been seen recently. But not today or at least not when I
was there. Along with Jim L I looked for about 30 min. A local birder
drove by & said the B.N. Stilt sometimes hides in the grass but after
a while you can't look any longer. All I saw were Mallards, Killdeer
(10-AD & 3 young) & 3 Least Sandpipers.
Checked the nearby Jay Woods F.P. but couldn't find any fluddles
there. Strike one!

Next to another flooded area just in Kane Co on Migell Rd where
yesterday Marion M & another birder had Golden Plovers in with the
Killdeer. But again not today. I could check carefully the fluddle on
the west side of the road but there were bigger water areas on the
east side of the road
but the sunlight kept you from seeing what was there. You could see
that many Yellowlegs & Killdeer were there so maybe that's where the
Golden Plovers were? You can also see these areas from Jericho Rd but
I found no place to park on that road.

In the area to the west where I could see well were Mallards, Killdeer
(52). Lesser Yellowlegs (3).
Least Sandpipers (5) & one Pectoral Sandpiper. Strike 2!

Last stop was the Seavey Road Fluddle which to my surprise was almost
completely dried up.
How that came to be when all the other nearby areas are flooded is not
clear to me.
But definitely Strike 3 & I was out!

Bird-Of-The-Day, if there was a Bird Of The Day, goes the one Pectoral
Sandpiper which was the 1st one I've seen in this migration.
Runners-Up to the Lesser Yellowlegs. I am sure I will see more Golden
Plovers when I do the sod farm fields later on but not so the Black
Necked Stilt which I may be out of luck on. Oh well.

Al Stokie
Not doing well in Kendall & Kane Co's today but at least my car is running

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: