Date: 7/11/19 6:02 am
From: Chris Elphick via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] another citizen science opportunity for people with nest boxes
Hi everyone,A week or so ago I wrote about box-nesting birds on the CT atlas blog. Doing that, reminded me that one of my UConn colleagues, Dr Sarah Knutie, recently started a great project on the invertebrates that live in bird nests and parasitize birds. If you have nest boxes that you manage, Sarah would very much like the nests (after the birds are done with them). She wrote the following note with more details on what she is doing and how you can help:

*Box-Nesting Bird Landlords*
I am a scientist from the University of Connecticut thatstudies the effect of nest parasites on Eastern Bluebirds and TreeSwallows as well as what conditions might help these birds fight off theparasites.

I'm looking for landlords that are interested in helping withthe study, especially those that do not manipulate the box in anyway (eguse vanilla, insecticides, DE, etc). To participate, landlords collectnests from their boxes in a labeled ziplock bag as soon as the nest is emptyand send the nests to my lab (I’ll pay for postage or will pick up the nests).UConn students then dissect the nests and identify and count allparasites.

I'm looking for Eastern Bluebird and Tree Swallow nests fromanywhere and everywhere in the United States and Canada!

Please send me an e-mail at <nestparasitestudy...> you are interested and I will give you more detailed instructions.

Thanks! ~Dr. Sarah Knutie

Chris Elphick @ssts
Storrs, CT
<elphick...>