Date: 7/11/19 5:51 am
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Interesting peep 2
There is no question in my mind that something is amiss with this birds
feathers.  It is not simply a matter of them being wet or muddy; they
appear contaminated with some foreign substance like oil.    Shorebird
feathers get wet and muddy all the time, it does not cause the feathers
to appears matted like this.    I have seen literally millions of
shorebirds in my life and there is clearly something wrong with this
birds plumage.

I noted as Jeff  Gilligan that the bird does not have a pale lower
mandible.  I have never seen a  LT Stint in my life (for sure), but I
see nothing on this bird that indicates it is anything but a Least with
something wrong, which is likely why it is roosting or resting a lot and
spending time by itself.  It is stressed.

I tend to think with a potential LT Stint, if it isn't seriously
obvious, it's a Least.   Or in other words, instead of convincing
yourself it is a LT, prove that it isn't a Least.    I don't think there
is much proof here it isn't a Least.   If it calls, I could be proved
wrong........

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 7/10/2019 11:08 PM, Owen Schmidt wrote:

> ….. the crown does come forward to meet the bill, there is a
> suggestion of that “J” at the lores (this varies according to the
> angle of observation), there is a suggestion for a split supercilium
> over they eye, the supercilium does flare behind the eye, the dorsal
> feathers have the dark splotchy appearance that’s supposedly good for
> Long-toed Stint of this age class.  The legs seem long, the central
> toe is long, the bird is bigger than any of the Leasts there today.
>  There wasn’t much behavior to watch.  The bird confines itself to
> this small patch of mud and spends quite a bit of its time resting ……
> which is probably why it is so dirty below.  The bird does lack that
> famous pale base to the mandible, but according to Paulson (Shorebirds
> of North America) that can be present on Least Sandpiper as well as
> Long-toed Stint.
>
> The bird is visible from the dike on the east side of the Troutdale
> sewage treatment plant ….. bring a scope!
>
> <oschmidt...> <mailto:<oschmidt...>
> Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Join us on Facebook!