Date: 7/10/19 10:37 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Interesting Peep

> On Jul 10, 2019, at 8:56 PM, Andy Frank <andydfrank...> wrote:
>
> Alan, or anyone, first, I profess no experience with Long-toed Sting and don't know what this bird is. The literature I can find says the base of the yellow in Long-toed Stint is "usually" yellow but I can't find anything that says how often it isn't yellow. Anyone know?
>
> Also, in many of the photos of Long-toed Sting that I can find on line I'm not seeing any yellow though I realize not all photos are correctly labeled.
>
> Andy Frank

I have seen a lot of Long-toed Stints, mostly Asia, but two in Oregon (the first was photoed and sound recorded, the second might have been the same bird as the first, the first as a juvenile and then as an adult).

The great majority I have seen have had pale bases to the lower mandible. The July Oregon bird that I saw was a bright adult. A Long-toed should somewhat resemble a small version of a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. The crown should be brighter on an adult, at least one that is more than a year old. The pale supercilious should flare wider behind the eye. The legs generally more yellow. The eyebrow somewhat split, starting at the bill.

In absolute terms they aren’t much bigger than a Least, but the Oregon ones I saw were distinctly larger than the Leasts they were near. While Leasts can crane their necks, Long-toed do so more dramatically. Leasts also have long toes.

I have a collection of specimen photos somewhere, and some dull Long-toeds are as dull as Leasts.

I don’t see anything convincing me that the subject bird is a Long-toed. It certainly isn’t an obvious one. I will send the photos to a birder who has considerable Asian experience.

Jeff Gilligan

Join us on Facebook!