Date: 7/10/19 9:06 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Interesting Peep
I think the way to approach this kind of bird is to start by asking what characteristics it has that the commoner most similar bird could not have or rarely has.

The observer who found it noticed characteristics that seemed “off.” I have only seen the one photo, with no adjacent birds. People who actually saw the bird saw way more than I can get from one pic.

I’m seeing a bird that looks rather like a Least Sandpiper that has had a hard week. The central toe is long(ish)for a Least. The legs seem long but is part of that an artifact of the somewhat matted and clumpy belly feathers?

I have seen exactly one LT Stint, an immature, decades ago. They do have a distinctive dry call note, nothing like a Least.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Jul 10, 2019, at 8:56 PM, Andy Frank <andydfrank...> wrote:
>
> Alan, or anyone, first, I profess no experience with Long-toed Sting and don't know what this bird is. The literature I can find says the base of the yellow in Long-toed Stint is "usually" yellow but I can't find anything that says how often it isn't yellow. Anyone know?
>
> Also, in many of the photos of Long-toed Sting that I can find on line I'm not seeing any yellow though I realize not all photos are correctly labeled.
>
> Andy Frank

Join us on Facebook!