Date: 7/10/19 8:52 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Interesting peep
It is always dangerous to identify a bird based on one fieldmark. In theory an adult Long-toed Stint should have

· Long legs

· Long neck

· Rufous cap

· Thin finely pointed bill that droops at the end with a lot of yellow on lower mandible

· White throat

· Pale cinnamon breast band with fine streaks

· Unmarked white belly and flanks

· Middle toe longer than bill

As I look at Owen’s comparison picture, the toe and the bill are pretty much the same length. The toe isn’t clearly longer than the bill. It’s close, but not a slam dunk winner. It does have long legs compared to the other Leasts in the photo. Meat Loaf says “2 out of 3 ain’t bad.” Based on these fieldmarks 1½ out of 8 ain’t great. I’d be interested in hearing what other people with more experience with this species have to say.

Tom Crabtree, Bend

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

<DC4I0320.jpg>

Join us on Facebook!