Date: 7/10/19 3:07 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
One glimpse of the open wings of a Northern Mockingbird was all we had of the bird, as it vanished the next second without a trace. Silvia and I (Larry) are the only ones to catch the unmistakable white wing patches of a sizable bird flushed with a robin, goldfinches, and House Finches. We took the north trail from the bridge at the approach to Mt. Pisgah, and the bird was on the south-west corner of the fenced garden. Members of our group of 17 were looking in all directions as the morning was quite birdy. There was a lot of song, which accounts for a high number of Lazuli Buntings. We watched for some time, 3 male buntings, seemingly in a game of catch me, chasing one another, against a background of low, leafy branches. They were sometimes joined by 2 females (or juv). None appeared to be combative. Observers included the seven-yr-old daughters, each, of Ellen’s and of Gerry’s.
36 species.

Mourning Dove 1
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Turkey Vulture 13
Osprey 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 1
American Kestrel 1 on wire from car
Western Wood-Pewee 7
Steller’s Jay 1
California Scrub-Jay 6
American Crow few
Common Raven 1
Tree Swallow 1
Violet-green Swallow many nesting in boxes at the garden
Black-capped Chickadee 8
House Wren 5
Bewick’s Wren 3
Swainson’s Thrush 3
American Robin fair number
NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD 1
European Starling few
Cedar Waxwing loosely scattered among high branches
House Finch 6
Lesser Goldfinch few individuals
American Goldfinch several here and there.
Spotted Towhee 10+
Chipping Sparrow 5, some were juveniles
Song Sparrow many
Yellow-breasted Chat 1 distant
Bullock’s Oriole 4
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
Common Yellowthroat 7
Western Tanager 5
Black-headed Grosbeak 4
Lazuli Bunting 16

Randy Sinnott, Judy Franzen, Scott McNeeley, Tom Cable, Ellen Cantor and daughter, Sarah Vasconcellos, Jim Regali, Sue Hutchinson, Sylvia Maulding, Nancy Clogston, Tom Cable, Pamela Carpenter, Steve Dignam, Gerry Meenaghan and daughter, Larry McQueen (apologies to any unintended unincluded)

Join us on Facebook!