Date: 7/10/19 8:09 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: shorebird question
Hi:

No real knowledge to provide except I suspect it is a correlation that has
no causation. The north winds are caused by the spring time movement north
of the eastern pacific high combined with the warming of the SW United
States causing a pressure gradient. Added to this is the cold coastal
water brought to the surface causing an additional temperature gradient.
So the wind blows harder in afternoon than morning. If you want to
experience north winds, try to sail north past Point Piedras Blancas in
the spring.

So maybe the warming weather chases the birds north but causes the winds as
well.

Bob Archer
PDX

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 7:37 AM <t4c1x...> wrote:

> Does anybody know why the heaviest movement of migrating shorebirds in
> spring seems to coincide with a strong headwind from the north?
> Darrel

Join us on Facebook!