Date: 7/9/19 10:31 am
From: Phil Rusch via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Zone -tailed???? Pomfret
This morning around 9:15 AM on Boswotth Rd in Pomfret, I observed a possible Zone-tailed Hawk. It was in the company of 6-7 distant Turkey Vultures circling as they gained altitude. The bird in question looked and acted like a TV but was about 2/3 the size of a TV. Light distance, and heat haze prevented any chance of seeing the tail band or the yellow legs and feet. So all I got is the GISS of this individual and a hunch.

I’m just posting this to remind people to check all of the Turkey Vultures carefully. There was a sighting earlier this year of a Zone-tail in ME. Presumably the same bird that has been frequenting the northeast over the last 5-6 years and went over the hawk watch at Lighthouse Point in 2015.

Phil Rusch
Chaplin, CT

Sent from my I-phone