Date: 7/8/19 2:44 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fern Ridge dike map
Thanks, Alan, for a review of the map of Fern Ridge.

Do you suppose we could host a barbeque or otherwise induce the
powers-that-be to mow the dikes? Maybe even blade them to fill the
ankle-twisting potholes/rodent burrows? Maybe even put up a cover to allow
escape from the blazing summer sun? Install a water cooler?

Just thinkin'

;-)

Paul Sullivan

---------------------------
Subject: Fern Ridge dike map
Date: Mon Jul 8 2019 11:33 am
From: acontrer56 AT gmail.com

We're getting to the season in which people ask for explanations of the Fern
Ridge dike and pond labeling system. The map is on the OBA web site:

https://oregonbirding.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/fernridge-map.pdf

What gets confusing is that people use two systems for describing the ponds,
NEITHER of which is visible in the field, as there is no signage on the
dikes. The numeric system is used by ODFW/Corps of Engineers but has no
signage. The bird name system has been used by local birders for decades and
also has no signage. To make matters even more confusing, everyone except
the ODFW/Corps calls these ponds." The agencies call them fields.

Right now the good mud is at the s end of 5/Osprey. The dikes have not yet
been mowed yet so the most walker-friendly access is from the south off 126,
as it is a shorter walk with much shorter grass.

Later in summer most of 5 and 6 will have loads of birds. At that point
walking in from Royal Avenue is probably better, assuming that the dikes are
mowed.

The pleasure never ends.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>