Date: 7/8/19 10:31 am
From: Phil Brown <pdpbrown...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Younger Lagoon
Over the holiday weekend I managed to visit a number of spots including
Younger Lagoon. I have been taking pictures with my new camera and managed
a nice shot of a BUSHTIT. WHen I downloaded the pictures I was surprised to
find that the bird I had photographed had a band. I know that some species
locally are regularly banded, but I have not heard of efforts to band
Bushtits. It should be noted that the water level in the lagoon is
currently very high, so prospects for seeing shorebirds there are not good.
This is true at the Watsonville sloughs as well, we are heading into the
migration season with very little suitable habitat.
Some notes from my trips
a) Younger is swamped with MALLARDS at the moment, though I did see a pair
of GREEN HERONS there.
b) Off Terrace point there were flocks of COMMON MURRE, I had nearly 100
visible. A BLACK OYSTERCATCHER seemed to be carrying food, but I did not
see where it took the mussel it had extracted from its shell.
c) Care Park had the continuing AMERICAN REDSTART and CEDAR WAXWING. YELLOW
WARBLERS were singing too.
d) I visited Pajaro dunes at low tide, and found 4 GREATER YELLOWLEGS,
there was a big flock of CASPIAN TERNS on the M***!#$ side.
e) Behind the truck park at Lee road there is a little water and mud, I
found a LEAST SANDPIPER and a WESTERN SANDPIPER there.

Phil Brown