Date: 7/7/19 9:20 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Redstart just seen 2:05pm
Hi birders,

Nancy and I went to CARE park today for lunch around 1:30pm. In the
parking lot we chatted with a few great birders who had been looking for
the AMERICAN REDSTART for 2 or 3 hours, but had not seen it. Eventually
they left and wished us luck. At that point I figured, we'll take a
short leisurely walk through CARE park, and enjoy views of WILSON'S
WARBLERs and other common birds.

As we strolled down the path from the levy, we approached the Y in the
path where the bird had been previously reported. There was a nice
birder, who was happily saying, "There it is! There it is!" We looked
up, and low and behold, there was the immature AMERICAN REDSTART. Right
on cue, fluttering about a tree and calling loudly. I thought to myself,
turn on the camera GPS to record the time and date before taking
pictures because, nobody is gonna believe us.

I've searched high and lo for hours for other birds and have come up
empty. I made countless visits to Pinto Lake to look for the Scaly
Breasted Munias when they were reported earlier this year, and dipped.
But, I can't call it birding when I saunter up to a place where a rarity
has been hanging out, and there is a birder pointing out the rarity,
with absolutely no effort on my part. (To be clear, I'm NOT complaining.
:)   )

So without further bloviating, a few documentary type images of this bird:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/redstart_american_190707a.jpg

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/redstart_american_190707b.jpg

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/redstart_american_190707c.jpg

Full ebird list from CARE Park today:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58008820

With thanks to the birder that pointed out the Redstart,

Pete Sole'
Soquel, CA