Date: 7/7/19 9:05 pm
From: Erik Ostrander <erik.d.ostrander...>
Subject: [obol] Cannon Beach Birding
Good evening everyone,

This morning was the monthly bird walk in Cannon Beach. We had a great
turnout, including a few out of city visitors and even an out of state
visitor bring our group up to 11 participants! The birds did not
disappoint either, with a total of 31 species.

There were great looks at Purple Martin females hanging out on the martin
apartment at the sewage ponds and some fledgling Barn Swallows still being
fed by parents on the fence near the house... it looks like this breeding
season was fruitful.

On the southeast pond, we had a surprise visitor spotted by one of the
visiting birders, a Black Phoebe was flitting around near the water and it
gave us a great show and hopefully I got a couple good pictures of it. I
did not have a chance to go through my camera today, I plan on doing that
tomorrow and adding photos to the eBird checklists.

The spruce forest portion of the walk was also exciting as a Pacific-slope
Flycatcher perched for a few minutes and sung for some of the group to get
a good look.

Here are the eBird checklists:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58003155
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58003203

The Cannon Beach bird walk is held every first Sunday of the month. We
meet in the parking lot adjacent to the Cannon Beach Settling Ponds at
9:00. The next walk is August 4th, hope to see you there!
--
Thank you,
Erik Ostrander

Join us on Facebook!