Date: 7/7/19 8:18 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Red-headed Woodpecker. Tick.
Also a recent Hart Mtn bird, with photo on Fb or the like but no OBRC report. That too June l'd guess. The species nests along riparian systems in Wyoming and Montana as far west as the north slope of The Uintas in Utah. The western Great Plains birds are completely migratory.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> Date: 7/7/19 7:55 PM (GMT-08:00) To: Tom Crabtree <tc...> Cc: <ticebill7...>, Obol <obol...> Subject: [obol] Re: Red-headed Woodpecker.  Tick. On Jul 7, 2019, at 11:12 AM, Tom Crabtree <tc...> wrote:Bill, there are two prior records, both from Malheur.  One was in 1987, the other was in 2008.  Both were in June. Tom Crabtree, BendAdditionally, there were two other reports that I think were good.  One was at Cascade Locks and the other on Powell Butte, Portland.  Like those reported birds, I tried to see them, and struck out, as I did today.My reference to “tick” was not the  British birding usage indicating that I had seen the Douglas County bird, but rather a  would-be blood sucking type of tick that I spotted on my pale colored pants.I arrived after most birders had left, and also checked a few nearby clear cuts.  I gave up at about 3 PM.BIG MISS for me.  I should well know to go for such a bird at the first possible moment.Jeff Gilligan

Join us on Facebook!