Date: 7/7/19 7:56 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Red-headed Woodpecker. Tick.

> On Jul 7, 2019, at 11:12 AM, Tom Crabtree <tc...> wrote:
>
> Bill, there are two prior records, both from Malheur. One was in 1987, the other was in 2008. Both were in June.
>
> Tom Crabtree, Bend

Additionally, there were two other reports that I think were good. One was at Cascade Locks and the other on Powell Butte, Portland. Like those reported birds, I tried to see them, and struck out, as I did today.

My reference to “tick” was not the British birding usage indicating that I had seen the Douglas County bird, but rather a would-be blood sucking type of tick that I spotted on my pale colored pants.

I arrived after most birders had left, and also checked a few nearby clear cuts. I gave up at about 3 PM.

BIG MISS for me. I should well know to go for such a bird at the first possible moment.

Jeff Gilligan

Join us on Facebook!