Date: 7/7/19 6:09 pm
From: Jim Dugan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Forensic photography help requested to ID a possibly rare hummer from MD
My fellow CT birders,

I spent the long weekend in Silver Spring, MD where, on the 4th, I photographed what I believe to be a non-native hummingbird species, either an escapee or a natural vagrant. The bird was only in my view for a few seconds and I took the shoot first and ask questions later decision knowing photographic proof would be needed for a potentially important record. I got one photo with the bird in the frame, my camera was on auto and focused on the building a few feet behind the hummer. The bird was gone before I could get another photo or visually study it and if I didn’t have my camera around my neck I wouldn’t even have the one crappy shot. I felt the bird was much larger than any species I’ve seen in these parts. I posted my finding to the MD list serve and all who emailed me (which was a fair amount of folks, but no conclusion was made to species) agreed what can be seen in my one out of focus photo shows something besides a Ruby-throated or Selasphorus species. I am posting this to my fellow CT birders asking if someone on the list has the ability and experience to manipulate the photo with computer programs to possibly reveal some field marks that could hopefully ID the species or at least the genus.

Here is a link to the eBird post with the photo:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57975188 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57975188>

I will happily email the original un-cropped photo to anyone on this list that thinks they might be able to pull something out of the photo and wouldn’t mind trying.

If the link above to the eBird post doesn’t come through in this email for some reason, it is eBird checklist number
S57975188

In appreciation,
Jim Dugan
<jim...>