Date: 7/7/19 11:44 am
From: David Provencher via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Block busting weekend for the atlas
This weekend I block busted blocks 56E, 58D, and 58F in my southeast
region. Today I spent the morning in block 56E "Willimantic E" though it's
actually Lebanon. Tallied 64 species (22 confirmed breeding) in mostly
farmland and residential habitat. Most interesting were a couple of male
Kestrels in different spots and multiple White-eyed Vireo territories (5 or
6 off the top of my head). Immature White-eyed Vireos have black eyes, like
Barred Owl eyes, striking looking. The hardest species to get today (of the
expected to find variety) were Ovenbird and Red-eyed Vireo! Had one
individual of each and had to search multiple areas to turn them up. Just
not enough woodlands with all the farm fields and such.

Dave Provencher

P.S. Swallows are starting to mass up. Had a couple of large mixed flocks
of Tree, Barn, Rough-winged, and Bank.