Date: 7/6/19 8:24 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Red-headed Woodpecker, Oregon Coast
Wow Kayla- what an absolutely incredible find at, I imagine, high speeds
along Hwy 101 a little north of Gardiner (Reedsport). You win me high five
at 55 award! We were headed back to Coos Bay from the east side of OR this
afternoon and easily found your amazing find along with several happy
birders. What a most unexpected bird in an absolutely random location!
Super job on quickly sharing your sighting also! As Tim Shelmerdine
mentioned when several of us were there, who knows how many of these crazy
rarities are NOT found by birders every year.

As for seeing Tim, I would highly recommend a trip on Oregon Pelagic Tours
(OPT)- which Tim heads up. We are remarkably lucky in OR to have someone
who puts so much effort into providing a quality pelagic trip. If you
haven’t been out to take advantage of one of his trips you are missing out.
And its not just birds but whales, dolphins, sharks, and other amazing
offshore delights! Great seeing Tim (Diane and Karen too!) and special
thanks for all the awesome pelagic trips I have been on with Tim and his
most experienced crew!!

Happy birding all,
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 9:05 PM Kayla McCurry <kayla.mccurry...>
wrote:

> Around 8pm this evening I spotted a red-headed woodpecker in a snag on the
> west side of hwy 101 between Florence and Reedsport.
>
> Don’t worry, I was calm and collected and in a soothing voice asked my
> husband to make a u-turn in a soothing voice and didn’t rip my pants on the
> guardrail in my excitement. Diagnostic photos and gps coordinates on the
> ebird checklist, what a bird!
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57960397
>
> Kayla McCurry

Join us on Facebook!