Date: 7/6/19 4:07 am
From: William Hobbie via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Philadelphia Vireo
I agrees with what Steve and Aidan have said. I have been taught to think
horses not zebras when I see hoofprints.
It was early morning and the light was to my back so the bird was was well
lit.
I looked at the 4 different bird books that I have and my 1st inclination
was red-eye but the yellow on the throat was too striking... One book said
it could be confused with a Tennessee Warbler but it was the wrong size.
Lastly I went to All About Birds and went the process of looking at similar
species and listening to their calls and songs and it was the call that
sealed it for me... it was the song that initially caught my attention and
it match perfectly.

Will

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 8:45 PM Aidan Kiley via CTBirds <
<ctbirds...> wrote:

> I agree with Steve. It's not completely I guess, but almost not possible to
> have one right now. Completely unheard of. They don't breed anywhere near
> CT and it's way too early for a migrant, of a species that is very scarce
> in the actual migration window to begin with. I would check out a Red-eyed
> singing an odd song.
>
> Aidan Kiley
> Fairfield
>
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2019, 8:34 PM Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz via CTBirds <
> <ctbirds...> wrote:
>
> > That would be a remarkable, unprecedented date.
> > Regards,
> > Steve
> > On Friday, July 5, 2019, 02:57:40 PM EDT, William Hobbie via CTBirds
> <
> > <ctbirds...> wrote:
> >
> > Opened the sliding door this am and heard a song I did not recognize.
> > Grabbed the binoculars and found a Philadelphia Vireo in one of my apple
> > trees, A Life Bird for me
> >
> > --
> > <whobbie3...>
> > (973) 477-2562