Date: 7/5/19 3:36 pm
From: Chris Rimmer <crimmer...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Mansfield numbers rebound
This past week saw VCE double its mist net captures from a week ago, though
numbers of birds on the Mansfield ridgeline are still abnormally low, with
relatively few second-year (yearling) individuals. We're wondering if 2019
recruitment is low, either because the 2018 breeding season was subpar or
2018-19 non-breeding season survival was poor (or both). We captured the
season's free-flying juvenile-- a Hermit Thrush--and it will be revealing
to see how many juveniles of locally-breeding species appear over the next
4-5 weeks. Although there is a solid balsam fir cone crop developing, we
have yet to encounter a red squirrel (a major predator of open cup-nesting
birds) on Mansfield.

For more details and several of Chuck Gangas's and Mike Sargent's fine
photos (featuring some familiar faces), check the VCE blog post:
https://vtecostudies.org/blog/mansfield-birds-rebound-modestly-in-week-5/.

We'll be back up there next Tuesday-Wednesday,

Chris

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055