Date: 7/5/19 10:17 am
From: Glenn Williams via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] SE CT atlasing
Like many of us, I have been visiting areas I might not normally bird to survey blocks for the atlas.  I spent a good amount of time in Hoffman Evergreen Preserve in Stonington this morning.  Excellent spot but I have never walked the whole perimeter. I had six singing ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS, which I am going to guess might be a number hard to top in any other single spot in southeastern Connecticut.

I have also been surveying Assekonk Swamp Wildlife Management Area.  In the eBird era, this place has not been birded at all, but it was temporarily famous for hosting Connecticut's only confirmed record of Fulvous Whistling Ducks in the spring of 1987. The northern "swamp" end is accessible from Wheeler Jr/Sr High in North Stonington but there are few spots to actually view the swamp.  The southern end is accessible but very hard to find from Rt 184 in North Stonington.  There is an unmarked dirt road just east of Jeremy HIll Road with a sign well into the woods that says "Area Closed" for no apparent reason.  A few driveways east of that road, there is a shared driveway (#825) that leads to a parking area, sign, and green gate.  From here, there is a (50?) acre second or third year clearcut in the middle of mature woods and near the south end of the large Assekonk Swamp (but no apparent access to the swamp from here, either).  I had almost thirty EASTERN TOWHEES and almost the same number of COMMON YELLOWTHROATS.  There was other good stuff in the area, including two singing HOODED WARBLERS.

I have also had great luck birding power lines wherever I can access them.  There are a lot more Prairie Warblers close to my home than I realized.  There are also more productive little nature areas around than you might think, especially on roads that you would not normally travel.  A little time looking at satellite views on Google Maps for example, can turn up some new discoveries.

Glenn Williams
Mystic