Date: 7/5/19 5:49 am
From: Christina Nieves via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Hawks & geese
This year I’ve been watching a large hawks nest about 100 feet up in a coniferous tree across the lake where you can see the parents moving around and the young hawk out on the branch. It screeches in the morning-presumably to be fed. We saw it on the ground with prey and the parent about 20 feet away also with prey-likely teaching the little one to hunt. The 2 families of geese that daily frequent our yard didn’t appreciate the hawks’ presence on the shore. They began swimming back and forth, (including the young goslings) honking and flapping their wings -similar to mating behavior, presumably in an effort to get them to leave, which they eventually did. FYI “Big Daddy” (the leader of the flock who had the lure caught in his foot and removed by game warden a couple weeks ago) recovered 100%. Except for two tiny holes a little larger than a pin hole, in the web space of his left foot, one would never know he sustained the injury. Nature is truly marvelous.
Christina Nieves
Enfield