Date: 7/4/19 9:16 pm
From: Jack Maynard <jmaynard...>
Subject: [obol] Hermit Warbler at Larch Mountain
Hey Birders!

Kelli and I got up early this morning and headed out to Larch Mountain
looking for Mountain Quail and Canada Jays. We birded Deverell Rd, Larch Mt
Rd and the rail to the peak from the trailhead. Deverell Rd had an
abundance of Willow Flycatchers and warblers, including MacGillivray's,
Orange Crowned and Black-Throated Grays. Hermit and Swainson's Thrushes and
W Wood Peewees heard almost constantly, as well as the other usual suspects.
We also ran into two birders on Larch Mt Rd after we had been to the lookout
who were still headed up that way. Hello again if you are reading this!
Sorry we didn't exchange names. Would love to hear what you saw later in the
day after the fog cleared up there.

At the trail to the lookout at Larch Mountain, closer to the parking lot, we
observed a pair of Hermit Warblers, a new Multnomah county bird for both of
us! They were with a mixed flock of mostly GCKinglets, and at first we
thought they were Townsend's Warblers, but after a couple really good looks
we could see the solid yellow head and white upper breast of one bird with a
black throat. The other bird was less distinct with a yellowish head and no
black on the throat, but definitely not a Townsend's. Because the more
distinct bird was giving the less distinct bird food, we assume the second
bird is a juvenile. ??

Do these Hermit Warblers breed here? I had understood that they have been
pushed out of many areas by the more successful Townsend's?

I'd love to hear what others know about this. It was a treat to see these
birds as I'd only seen them before in Central Oregon and in Mexico.

Other cool birds we saw included Band Tailed Pigeons, RBNuthatches, and
Varied Thrush (and heard several).

We did not see the Mountain Quail or Gray Jays. Any thoughts on where in
Mult Co we might go to see these birds?

On another subject, is anyone heading to California in September for the
Monterey Bird Fest? If so let us know, we'd love to connect. We will be
birding our way down and back up. Also catching a ride on a Shearwater
Pelagic and hoping to bird Pt Reyes.

Jack Maynard ( and Kelli Van Norman)

Join us on Facebook!