Date: 7/4/19 9:59 am
From: Linda Phillips <linda_phillips1252...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Western Tanager
Hi Tweeters-
I bird in my local park, Wallace Swamp Creek Park- Kenmore almost daily. Every May I see a couple of Western Tanagers pass through during migration. I often see more WETA in the fall as the new families head back south. This year through out May & June I had occasional sightings. Some of them were heard only and I might have written them off as wishful thinking except, I noticed on Ebird that another birder visited the park and also recorded WETA. I suspected I had a pair nesting in the park. Yesterday my hunch was confirmed when I saw a female tanager with an insect in her bill perch on an exposed branch, call for several minutes, maybe it was seconds, but long enough for me to get a very good look at her before she dropped into a thicket of hawthorn & black berries. Peering into the thicket I located the back end of a bird but could not tell if it was the female or a juvenile. Since the thicket doesn’t match the nesting information I read (conifer trees, horizontal fork, away from trunk) I believe the tanager I saw was feeding recently fledged young hidden in the tangle.
Is it unusual that WETA are nesting in a low altitude suburban park?
Linda Phillips
Kenmore WA