Date: 7/3/19 8:40 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos ‘N Curry 7/3/19
Catbird still meowing but very quietly at Millicoma Marsh, Coos Bay before
sunrise. The dawn chorus is still fun but by half hour after sunrise you
would not know many species were even around.

No luck with the Curry catbird at AZ SP south of Port Orford this AM. I
noticed Jim Johnson, who originally found it back on 10 June, did not
report it on his eBird list on 1 July. But, as Nathaniel Wander reminded
me, if you didn’t hear it that doesn’t mean it isn’t still there!? Will
need someone more local than I to keep checking to see if there may still
be nesting birds around?

Near the Ophir rest area I saw numerous BANK SWALLOWS overhead, probably
from the Nesika Beach nest area which I think Nathaniel Wander may have
originally found? Joni Dawning found a colony just south of Cape Blanco in
the cliffs a few years back also. I think there is another up the Rogue
near Jerry’s Flat- so maybe three nest spots in Curry. None known in Coos
but great habitat from Bandon north to Cape Arago- could find nesters there
if anyone was checking? Lots of unbirded areas on the south coast....

Merry July all!
Tim R
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!