Date: 7/3/19 3:48 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Red-shouldered Hawk: "Chapter 2": Front view
Nice photo.

This bird is clearly an adult.  It looks a lot like the south Florida subspecies of Red-shouldered Hawk (ssp. extimus).  I am not suggesting it is extimus, but rather that a pigment deficiency may be emulating the paler appearance of that subspecies.

Wayne
On 7/3/2019 12:46:47 PM, Priscilla Sokolowski <priscillanhk...> wrote:
I returned to Delta Ponds to see if I could get more photos of the Red-shouldered Hawk I saw there Monday.  Sure enough, it was in the same place, only this time it was facing me. So now we have the breast markings/coloration to consider. There seem to be some molting "fuzzy feathers" along the sides / wings - which I wouldn't expect on an adult. No dark streaking near throat which juveniles might show. See what  you think.

Priscilla Sokolowski

Join us on Facebook!