Date: 7/3/19 11:24 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Red-shouldered Hawk: "Chapter 2": Front view
When the AOU gave common(English language) names to subspecies, the Isolated population of Redshoulders, then restricted to California, was known as "Red-bellied Hawk". No less an authority than Bendire reported eggs from Camp Harney in 1890, putting it on Oregon's hypothetical list for close to a century(Bendire failed to provide a body). Nowadays, everyone believes you when reporting a 'shoulder at Malheur. But scrutinize the juvies, which might be a Broadwinged Hawk based on this past Memorial day.      Immature 'shoulders share with Accipiter imm.s the dark brown streaking of the belly, in contrast to rusty barring in adults. This is not a typical adult, but very much an adult it is. The fuzzy appearance at the (folded)wings  is from the edges of breast feathers. LpnSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Priscilla Sokolowski <priscillanhk...> Date: 7/3/19 9:45 AM (GMT-08:00) To: OBOL <obol...> Subject: [obol] Red-shouldered Hawk: "Chapter 2": Front view I returned to Delta Ponds to see if I could get more photos of the Red-shouldered Hawk I saw there Monday.  Sure enough, it was in the same place, only this time it was facing me. So now we have the breast markings/coloration to consider. There seem to be some molting "fuzzy feathers" along the sides / wings - which I wouldn't expect on an adult. No dark streaking near throat which juveniles might show. See what  you think. Priscilla Sokolowski

Join us on Facebook!